Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Can I Do For Thee?

I came across this poem the other day, browsing through some old papers and finding two cards with prayers on them. This one, in particular, struck a chord in my heart, and I could not help but share it here: 

What Can I Do For Thee? (before the Pieta)
by Harold Menken
It might seem that this statue of our Mother
Had seeing eyes and listening ears;
She draws one suppliant after another
Sighing out their hopes and fears.

"My precious one is sick to death...
Please help my little boy,"
An anguished woman gasps for breath.
A young girl whispers, "Give me joy."

Such a wide assortment sauntered by,
Rich, poor, young, old and gray!
One said, "Please help my number to win!"
Another, "May we fly safe today."

And then a tattered beggar ~ but so wise
He seemed to me ~
"I ask for nothing, Mother dear, but this:
What can I do for Thee?"


I know this seems like a post more in tune with Lent, but sacrifice and Love are themes that work anytime. And since I have been reading alot about doing God's Will, uniformly and without reserve, this seems to me to be a good place to start ~ at the foot of the Woman Who suffered the most, right alongside Him as He died.
I have been wanting to post all week here, but this will do for now...I will be back perhaps later today or tomorrow to write more Musings; suffice it to say that meditation in the meantime on the Passion of Our Lord and the Dry Martyrdom of His Mother are more than enough fodder for anyone!

No comments: